Sunday, June 14, 2009

Give It Up

I learned a big lesson in materialism recently. I used to always think that materialism was exactly what it seems: coveting materials. People who love clothes and shoes and other worldly things so much that they become front-runners in their lives, above other, more important, things. I never really considered myself to be overly materialistic. Sure, I enjoy clothes and shoes and movies and such, but I'm not excessive and I would give it up if it became a problem. 

The other day I had an awakening... God enlightened me to the true nature of materialism. News flash: it's not always a literal material. My struggle was with an organization. Something my family was paying to keep me in that I enjoyed, but I didn't love it and honestly, sometimes I dreaded aspects of it. But despite my father's opinions, I wouldn't quit because I didn't want to feel left out. I didn't want to be a quitter. I didn't want to lose friends. I didn't want to give up the superficial feeling that the organization made me better, gave me an extra edge. 

But I'm cleaning out my life and after much prayerful consideration, it had to go. 

... I think that I feel more fulfilled than ever before. What a God thing. 

No comments:


Visitors