Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Back to Your Heart

Everyone has a different style of worshipping and praising God and, much the same, everyone has a different style of loving God. I guess for me I like to literalize Him. It's hard to think about how God will be when we meet him, whether he will have a physical body or just an overwhelming presence. Will he have hands to literally hold us in? Will he have a heart that beats for us? As MercyMe would say, I can only imagine. So, I do. Often. 

At Emerge, our summer college bible study, two of my friends lead worship and sang the most beautiful song. It expresses my very feelings on how I long to be with God. 

I wanna sit at your feet,
drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breathe, hear your heart beat.
This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming.

You've read my thoughts on His eyes. You've read some of my thoughts on His hands. I haven't yet touched on His heartbeat, but that is not to say I haven't thought about it. Babies are comforted by heartbeats, especially that of their mother. It calms them and soothes them and let's them know that they are safe. They are with their mother, their maker. What a beautiful thing. I like to imagine that once I enter the gates to heaven God will wrap me up in his warm embrace and I will hear his heartbeat. 

... I will wait for the sound of his heartbeat to be calmed, to be soothed and, most of all, to know that I am safe in the arms of my maker. 

No comments:


Visitors