Friday, December 26, 2008

Who Am I?

I heard an interesting quote the other day...

"She doesn't really have a true identity, but she knows 
what she believes in and she sticks to that."

Something about that quote struck me. Perhaps it's because I often wonder who I am. Some people seem so sure of who they are, where they're going, what they are meant to be. I, on the other hand, know none of that. Who am I? I wish I could tell you but even I don't know. I feel as though I change based on who I am around. Often times I trick myself into thinking I have figured out which is the real me. But is that just who I want to be, or is it truly who I am? And where does one draw the line between who they want to be and who they are. Can I not choose who I want to be? Am I not the master of my own person, free to be who I want to be? Sometimes I think I know where I'm going and what I'm meant to be. Graphic Designer. Journalist. Lover of the Spanish language. Future magazine employee. Internship in Boulder. Job for Disney. Sure, they may be possibilities, but who is to say where I will truly be when I graduate. I graduate in three and a half years. Three and a half years ago I had a completely different career path in mind. Who is to say I won't change my mind before graduation? 

But really? We all know where this is going. I have no control. It doesn't matter what I want, what I think, what I feel. It's all up to the man upstairs. I may have found that I am a talented graphic designer, but really? That was not my doing. God gave me that talent. He has put the right people and experiences in my life at just the right times so I think that I have figured out my perfect life plan and career path but who am I trying to kid. He's been knowing that since way before my time. Since way before time itself, in fact. 

So though I may have no true identity, I know what I believe in, and that's plenty enough for me. God bless you.

No comments:


Visitors