Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Give It All Away

As Jim Carrey would say (man, I'm just full of Jim Carrey quotes)... I'M BAAAAAACK. So sorry for the lack of posts. I thought I would be able to hack someone's Internet while vacationing on Lake Martin, but alas, that was not the case. So we will pretend like the last week(ish) did not happen and pick right back up with my 21 days.

Though no blogging occurred, I gained plenty of inspiration from my time on the lake. I learned an incredible lesson in selflessness. Exhibit A: the man my family has lovingly come to know as Mr. Million. Okay, I'll explain. There we were, day one on the lake, laying out on the pier when along comes a man on his fishing boat. So of course my dad strikes up a conversation about how the fish were and in T-10 minutes they were best friends. Come to find out, his father-in-law had won the lottery back in February. $11.7 million. As my mother said "like, really really?"

Yes, he really, really won the lottery. As if that weren't cool enough, wait until you hear how he spent it. He anonymously gave half of it to his church. AMAZING. I think that's somewhere in the 5.75 million dollar range, though I don't pride myself on my math skills. After that, you would think he could call it a day and keep the rest for himself. False. He payed off the houses of everyone in his immediate family and bought them all new cars. Then, he paid of the houses of two of his long-time friends who were struggling with the economy and bought them new cars. Then, rather than hoarding the rest of the money, he had a pow-wow with his family and they all got to decided how to spend the rest of the money. The solution? A house on Lake Martin, complete with 2 bass fishing boats, 3 jet skis and a pontoon boat (it was a Bentley).

What an amazing testimony of selflessness. I'm going to keep him in mind as I return to reality and try to give as much as I can. Granted, I don't have 11.7 million dollars, but I'm sure I can find a few things I can do without. How about you?

"Remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth." —Deuteronomy 8:18

No comments:


Visitors